So you’ve fallen in love with an Australian…

First of all, let us say, how wonderful! Australia is a beautiful country and if you’ve fallen in love, you may just be lucky enough to qualify for a Partner visa that allows you to stay in the country (subclass 820) while a decision is made on your permanent visa (subclass 801). Like anything with immigration there are some important things to know, and we will share the basics here.

In order to be eligible, you must be married or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen. Your marriage must be valid under Australian law, and if in a de facto relationship, it must have been for at least 12 months unless your relationship is registered as a civil union. As of December 2017, this also applies to same sex couples.

All partnered relationships must be genuine, ongoing, exclusive and committed. You need to provide supporting evidence of the financial and social aspects of your relationship, as well as information about the nature of your household and your future plans. Having a joint bank account, a rental lease, photos, ticket stubs, social media posts and other dated items to show that you are in a genuine domestic partnership can go a long way in helping to make your application decision-ready.

There are a number of other requirements relating to age, health and character, so be sure to do your research before applying for one of the most expensive Australian visas out there. If you need some support, we can assist with this process. And in the meantime, congrats on your love!


Leave a Reply